Jodi Leigh Miller's Journal

Official Journal for NPC Figure Competitor and Bodybuilder Jodi Leigh Miller

Monday, May 16, 2005

Escalators scare me to death. Going down is worse than going up. I’m not sure if that’s symbolic of anything, but if I wrack my brain long enough, I’m pretty sure I’ll come up with some sort of imagery and hypothesis as to why the downward spiral is worse than the upward approach. But that’s not the point of me talking about escalators.

I remember nearly falling down the escalator at the Dallas Galleria mall one afternoon while in middle school. My foot chose a spot that involved two steps on the escalator, and naturally one step separates from the other, and my foot had to decide which step to stick with. And aturally, it stuck with the one that went down first, and the rest of my body nearly followed. My mother grabbed me in time to shake up my senses and make me pull my body weight backwards. I never looked at an escalator in the same way again.

I work on the fifth floor of the retail building. The stores take up the first four floors, and the business offices take up the remaining five floors. Since a section of our department is scattered throughout the fifth, sixth, and seventh floors, I am regularly traipsing from floor to floor, and my two options involved the elevator and the escalator. While I would rather take the former, I end up opting for the latter on a regular basis, and my routine is quite hilarious and odd if you don’t know me (and yes, I have to explain to every single person who walks with me that I am petrified of escalators). I watch the steps go by…one two three that one no that one no no that one come on Jodi you’re wasting time pick one okay that one that one now go GO! This can last for two steps or it can last for fourteen steps, and I’m not exaggerating. The steps keep revolving and I keep staring and waiting for the right moment to reach my foot out, plant it firmly, and hope for the best (and for balance). Mind you, if you were wearing four-inch Manolo Blahniks (by the way, these things are every bit the heaven that Carrie said they were in "Sex and the City"; you just have to try a pair on—if you’re into that sort of thing--or buy your girlfriend/wife a pair to understand—which might be dangerous, so I wouldn’t recommend that), you too would have a slight skip of the heartbeat every time you were forced to step and balance on a moving staircase.

The stairs never stop moving. I could stand at the top of every escalator and watch the teeth separate, the step move down, and the next one repeat the action and take its place. Over and over, much like a revolving door (those kind of creep me out too…moving too fast, too slow…I sometimes fret that I’ll only manage to get half my body in and an arm will be left behind, or I’ll fall forward and continue twirling about the only entrance way into the building). It’s amazing that I can manage to make it anywhere in life. I won’t even get into the ordeal I go through just to get into and out of my car. I’ll save that for another blog entry. I just wonder what it is that makes my mind break the decision down and say, "that one…that opening, that step…take it now." It’s like that with life too. The steps we take, the people we meet, the phone calls we make, the times we open and close our mouths…all of our decisions are just stairs in the escalator of life, and we determine when to move forward and when to stay behind.

I just watched The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Could you imagine washing your mind like you wash your dishes? The yummy cake remnants…gone. The ucky fish grease…gone. The caked on cheese…gone. The bits of potato…gone. Into the dishwasher they go, dirty and spoiled. Out of the dishwasher they come, sparkling clean and ready to be used again. But that’s the thing. Ready to be used again. The same slice of cake, piece of fish, square of grilled cheese, bits of potato return to the ceramic place they once were, only to be eaten and washed away again. And again. And again. Wash all you want, and the memories will never disappear. Wash all you want, and you still have lessons to learn.

I suppose if one mastered the art of time travel, then we could not only save our memories but actually relive them. Per someone’s suggestion on here, I picked up a copy of The Time Traveler’s Wife and am about halfway through a truly delicious book. I am doing the stairmaster backwards as well as the treadmill, and if you think I have problems with the escalator, you should see me trying to remain in the upright position while also moving backwards on any cardio equipment. I not only have an opportunity to kill my quads; I also get to nearly kill myself…which I suppose is killing two birds with one stone. Oh forget it…no more jokes today. That one was bad.

Anyway, in this novel, a woman goes through life knowing whom she is going to marry and the man goes through life haphazardly, even getting to spend time with himself in a different realm of time. (Could you imagine that…you at 40 talking with you at 15? Good lord! What would you say to yourself?) I want to discuss this book further but I don’t have it in front of me (I’m at work…eating, taking a lunch break, legitimately taking time for me), and how in the world is one supposed to adequately discuss a novel without utilizing quotes from it? Suffice it to say, that if I had a choice to either constantly revisit moments in time or simply wash them away, without a choice of whether these moments were the pleasant ones or the ones that left a sour taste in the mouth, I think I’d rather experience time travel than a total brainwashing. How about you? Think about it. Besides, who’s to say you won’t end up in the same exact place at a later date, just like you do with time travel, and just like you do when taking the escalator…or the elevator…or swinging through the revolving door. At some point, you’re going to end up in the same space, just in a different time period, and it’s how you handle it that will be the difference.

Just more food for thought from a girl who can’t choose her own food.

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you like The Time Traveler's Wife. It's great writing isn't it?

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Jodi Leigh said...

Yes, I am truly enjoying the book. Right now, the only chance I have to read is while doing cardio--that is, if I'm facing forward. I tried reading while using the stepper backwards and holding the book with one hand and changing the pages with that same hand. The book ended up being thrown...ahem...placed on the floor when about two full minutes went by and I still couldn't change the page with my sweaty fingers.

I just read this morning where Henry's father asks Clare if one deliriously happy moment--even if short-lived--is actually better than a lifetime of okay moments, and she thinks about her relationship with Henry and nods emphatically. It reminds me of City of Angels where the one angel asks Nicholas Cage that same thing after Meg Ryan dies (did I just give away the ending...oops!). But then you read Romeo and Juliet, and you wonder if their short-lived happy moments(after all, the play lasted for maybe five days) were truly worth it, or if they should have exercised some brain cell power and tried to prolong the romance by slowing down.

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Susan said...

I thought I was the only one who hated escalators! Glad to know I'm not alone...

 
At 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little brain power usually helps, but it can get in the way too. We usually have more regrets for the things we did not do than regrets for the things we did do.
Not really Marcutio's problem was it?!?

Reading is a good excuse for me to hit the treadmill, which I'm not a fan of. A good read is about all that can keep me planted for more than 20 minutes. Speaking of which, how much cardio would you suggest?

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Jodi Leigh said...

Well, for a short period of time, I'm going without fat in my diet, except on the weekends where I get an oil-based dressing in my salad(I'm salivating right now as I think about it) on Saturday and then a cheat meal on Sunday. Of course, this isn't the norm. When I'm not close to a show, then the fat levels are higher, and I actually like to cycle them up and down and in and out of the diet. I guess that's what is occurring now since Monday through Friday sees no fat at all and then the weekend sees a little bit of it.

I remember an article in Muscle and Fitness Hers (the now extinct animal) that asked competitors what they would change in their past if they could go back with the knowledge they have today. Everyone had something to change. I think about this, and knee-jerk reaction would normally find something to alter, but I know in my heart that if anything were to have been different, then I would be where I am now and with the knowledge I have now. We learn from our mistakes, which actually turns those mistakes into experiences and thus makes them worthwhile. And what makes the mistake-making process even better is when we can turn around and help an up-and-comer to get on the right track before they repeat our mistakes. Then, if they choose to do their own thing and not listen, they asked for it! Lol!

You know, one of the things I like about the Blahniks is that the area around the widest part of the foot (near the ball of the foot, before the toes begin) fits quite comfortably in the black pumps I bought (4-inchers...good lord, what was I thinking, and yes, I can walk quite well in them...lol). It's why I went with those rather than the D&G, Gucci, or Stuart Weitzman versions. Where I work, we get a couple of chances to use a special vendor discount on top of our own personal discount, so I got those Blahniks at half off, and it was so worth it! I've never spent that amount of money on shoes before, but I wear those things religiously. I really like BCBG Girls shoes also, but those things kill my feet. But I look cute in them...lol! Mariah Carey said that about her shoes in her version of MTV Cribs. Did y'all see that? I would do almost anything to have that closet (with the clothes and shoes in it!).

JAK, Mercutio's problem was being in love with Romeo, but that's a whole different story...lol!

I would suggest about 30 to 40 minutes of cardio three to four times a week, depending upon your goals. You might need more or less if you are preparing for a show or if you are simply maintaining.

Hope that helps!

Jodi

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Lingster said...

Why would you call yourself "Smegma"?

 
At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL.. Come to Wyoming. I don't think our state has escalators anywhere. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home